1. Kubiak in the Booth- For the second consecutive week, head coach Gary Kubiak will be high atop Reliant Stadium in the coaches booth. Still on the mend from suffering a mini-stroke on November 3, Kubiak's doctors told him he can't coach from the sidelines.
“I listen to them and talk to them," Kubiak said Friday aftenroon. "I understand their decision. Just glad to get back and be out there and go to work. I’ll just keep listening to them and we’ll go week-to-
With Kubiak upstairs, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will have the challenge flag. Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison was on the sideline last Sunday in the loss to the Raiders.
2. Broken record?- With 10 receptions,
“It’s getting up there, but when you’re drafted you don’t think about stuff like that," Johnson said. "You
Johnson is also just 34 yards shy of 1,000 in 2013, and it would be the 7th season in his illustrious career he's reached that mark.
The last time he suited up against Jacksonville was November 18, 2012 in Houston. He set career highs with 14 catches for 273 yards and the game-winning 48-yard touchdown in overtime.
3. Watt will happen- Defensive end
"You can see it every week," defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "I think the 'average fan' who doesn’t watch the defensive line all the time sees him show up. I think it’s just obvious to everybody."
In four career games against Jacksonville, Watt's notched 25 tackles, 4.5 sacks, four batted passes and a fumble recovery.
4. Cornerback depth- Starter
"Everybody’s going to play," Kubiak said. "We’ve got basically seven healthy DBs and then the new one we signed in Justin. So we’re trying to catch him up real quick. Everybody will play, but Brice will start.”
5. Tight end influence- Oddly last week, the Texans didn't run too many two-tight end formations.
His return could see the Texans move back to more two-tight end packages.
“We still try to pound the ball and run our keeper stuff," Griffin said. "But it is different and we’ve got to get back to it, getting the ball on the ground and spreading out the two tight end stuff. We’ll be ready to go.”
Griffin's presence will help the Texans offense vary their formations just a bit more.