Houston Texans (3-1) Dallas Cowboys (2-3)
Thursday, August 29, 2013
1 2 3 4 T
Houston Texans 7 7 3 7 24
Dallas Cowboys 0 3 0 3 6
Paid Attendance: 76,856
WITH THE WIN…
- The Texans maintained possession of the Governor’s Cup.
- Houston improved to 4-3 all-time in the preseason against Dallas.
- Houston posted its first win in four preseason trips to Dallas.
- Houston finished with a 3-1 preseason record for the third consecutive year.
- Houston finished 2-0 on the road in the preseason.
- Head Coach Gary Kubiak improved 19-13 in the preseason.
TEXANS TEAM NOTES
- Houston had seven sacks in the game and set a franchise record with 18 sacks this preseason. The previous record was 17, set in 2011. Five different players recorded sacks for the Texans against the Cowboys: DE
Delano Johnson2.0, OLB Bryan Braman1.5, OLB Trevardo Williams1.5, DE Keith Browner1.5 and NT Chris Jones0.5.
- Houston eclipsed 400 yards of offense for the fourth time this preseason, gaining 427 yards against the Cowboys. It was the fourth-most yards gained by the franchise ever in a preseason game.
- Houston rushed 190 yards on 40 carries. It marked the second-most rushing yards in a game by the Texans in franchise preseason history.
- The Texans outgained the Cowboys 252-140 in the first half and 175-79 in the second half.
- Houston outgained Dallas 138-52 in the first quarter. The Texans ran for 123 yards in the first quarter on 10 attempts (12.3) average.
- Houston went 93 yards in 6 plays, eating up 3:35 on the clock on its first drive, ending with a 5-yard touchdown run by RB
Dennis Johnson. The Texans ran for 78 yards on the drive.
- Dallas won the toss and elected to receive.
- Houston’s captains for the game were QB
Case Keenum, QB T.J. Yates, DE Tim Jamisonand NT Terrell McClain.
INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES
Ryan Griffincaught five passes for 87 yards and set a franchise record with his 14th catch of the preseason. He also ranks third in franchise history with 173 yards receiving this preseason.
- Griffin caught his 13th pass of the preseason and fourth pass of the game on Houston’s last drive of the second quarter. With the reception, Griffin tied WR Kevin Walter’s single-preseason franchise record for receptions, set in 2008.
Lestar Jeanset a franchise single-preseason record with his third touchdown reception of the preseason on a 27-yard pass from Case Keenum in the second quarter.
- Jean also moved into second place on the team’s single-preseason receiving yards list with 177 on his 27-yard touchdown grab, in front of Sloan Thomas (166 in 2005) and Kevin Walter (166 in 2008).
- RB Dennis Johnson carried the ball five times for 42 yards and a touchdown in the first quarter. He also had a 29-yard punt return. Johnson finished the game with 79 yards on 17 carries.
- QB Case Keenum set a franchise single-preseason record with 442 yards passing, besting David Carr’s record of 441, set in 2002. Keenum set the mark on a 27-yard touchdown pass to WR Lestar Jean in the second quarter.
Cierre Woodrushed for 107 yards on 19 carries. It marked the third-most rushing yards by a Texan in a preseason game in franchise history. Justin Forsett had 114 yards against Minnesota on Aug. 30, 2012 and Arian Fosterhad 110 yards against Dallas on Aug. 28, 2010 against Dallas.
- Wood’s performance marked the third time a Texan eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark in a preseason game in franchise history.
- Wood’s 41-yard run in the first quarter was the longest by the Texans this preseason. Wood carried five times for 81 yards in the first quarter (16.2 average).
- QB T.J. Yates tied Sage Rosenfels’ 2007 franchise record with his fourth touchdown pass of the preseason, a 21-yard scoring throw to WR
Andy Crusein the fourth quarter.