• Sat., Apr. 25, 2015 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM CDT Play Safe Clinic presented by Houston Methodist and GE The Houston Texans are proud to partner with GE and Houston Methodist to launch the Play Safe Football Clinics! These clinics will highlight the importance of concussion awareness,  proper hydration, and nutrition.

Special guests will include experts in related fields, Houston Texans Ambassadors, and Texans Cheerleaders!  Participants will hear from guest speakers and then take part in interactive football drills.

Play Safe Football Clinics
    9:30am: Check-in
    10:00am-12:30pm: Clinics

March 7: Cinco Ranch High School
    March 21: James Driver Park
    April 11: Pearland Junior High West
    April 25: Capmbell Middle School

These events are free, however registration is required. There are four different dates and locations to choose from. Space is limited, so register for a clinic near you today through this link - http://www.houstontexans.com/kids/footballclinic.html
  • Thu., Apr. 30, 2015 5:00 PM - 9:30 PM CDT 2015 Houston Texans Draft Party pres. by Coors Light

The 2015 Houston Texans Draft Party presented by Coors Light isThursday, April 30 at NRG Stadium.  The Draft Party begins at 5 p.m. CDT and the 2015 NFL Draft begins at 7 p.m. CDT.

NFL Network’s draft coverage will be shown on the HD televisions throughout the 100 Level Concourse and Texans Radio on SportsRadio 610 will broadcast live, with commentary and analysis from “The Voice of the Texans,” Marc Vandermeer, and a number of special guests. When the Texans make their first-round pick, fans at the Draft Party will hear from the player first as part of Texans Radio’s live broadcast.

Texans Ambassadors will be on hand to sign autographs throughout the evening. Texans fans can also get their first glimpse of the 2015 Houston Texans Cheerleaders when the squad makes its debut performance at the event.

Young fans can play in the TORO’s Kids Club Zone presented by Kroger, which will feature interactive games, a balloon artist and appearances by TORO and Deep Steel Thunder. Fans can also take photos in Memory Alley located on the concourse.

Get more information on the event here.

• Fri., May. 01, 2015 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM CDT Flashback Fridays at Go Texan Store

Stop by the Go Texan Store on Friday, April 10, 2015 from 12:30pm - 1:30pm to meet a TBD Houston Texans Ambassador.  Fans can also enjoy a 10% off Power Hour discount in the Go Texan Store during the event!

Store info - http://www.houstontexans.com/gotexanstore.html

• Sat., May. 02, 2015 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM CDT Texans Care Volunteer Day presented by Reliant Texans Care Volunteer Day presented by Reliant is a city-wide volunteer day on Saturday, May 2, 2015 from 8AM - noon where Texans players, Cheerleaders, Ambassadors, TORO and staff will volunteer alongside Texans fans!

As an organization, the Texans make it a priority to give back to the Houston community. This day provides an opportunity to invite Texans fans to volunteer with the team to make a positive change. These organizations work to improve the standard of living for the young people of Houston, which aligns with the Texans mission to be Champions for Youth.

There are plenty of locations across Houston, so sign up today at http://www.houstontexans.com/community/volunteer-day.html!
  • Sat., May. 02, 2015 10:30 AM - 6:30 PM CDT NFL Draft Day 3 from Houston Texans Grille

Stop by the Houston Texans Grille (I-10 & Beltway 8) on Day 3 of the NFL Draft, Saturday, May 2 from 10:30am – 6:30pm for a chance to announce a Texans Draft Pick live on TV or chance to win tons of other prizes!

All of the Texans draft picks that day will be made by Texans fans live from the Grille, with at least one on NFL Network and the rest on NFL.com. See rules - http://bit.ly/1Eid0WN

Texans Radio with Voice of the Texans, Marc Vandermeer and special guests, will be broadcasting LIVE the entire time. Plus, Houston Texans Cheerleaders and Ambassadors will be there for autographs and pictures!

• Sun., May. 03, 2015 11:00 PM - 11:30 PM CDT Texans All Access: 2015 Draft on KTRK ABC 13

Tune in to KTRK ABC 13 in Houston on Sunday, May 3 at 11pm to catch the Texans TV special, Texans All Access: 2015 Draft.  This will be an exclusive look into the day of the Texans first round draft pick, as well as an analysis of all the 2015 Texans draft picks from Texans TV Insiders.

Fans throughout Texas, be sure to check your local TV listings for air dates and times in your area.

• Tue., May. 05, 2015 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM CDT Texans Radio Live at Houston Texans Grille Stop by the Houston Texans Grille located at CityCentre, 12848 Queensbury Ln. Ste 208, Houston, TX 77024 (I-10 & Beltway 8), as Texans Radio broadcasts LIVE with special guests including Voice of the Texans, Marc Vandermeer!
  • Wed., May. 13, 2015 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM CDT Moms Clinic presented by Houston Methodist and GE

The Houston Texans are proud to partner with GE and Houston Methodist to launch the Play Safe Moms Clinic just for football moms on May 13th!

This free clinic will provide moms with the latest safety information in concussion awareness, proper hydration and nutrition to prepare them for the upcoming football season.  These classroom-style instructions and interactive football drills will take place in the Houston Methodist Training Center.

Space is limited, so register today at http://www.houstontexans.com/kids/momclinic.html!

• Sun., May. 17, 2015 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Gridiron Gang Auditions

Are you motivated, outgoing and passionate? Well then, we're looking for you to audition for the Houston Texans Gridiron Gang gameday entertainment team on Sunday, May 17 from 1-3pm at the Hosuton Methodist Training Center.

For more info and to regsiter, click this link - http://www.houstontexans.com/fan-zone/gridiron2.html

• Thu., May. 21, 2015 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Texans Radio Live at Houston Texans Grille Stop by the Houston Texans Grille located at CityCentre (I-10 & Beltway 8) as Texans Radio broadcasts LIVE from 6pm - 7pm with special guests including Voice of the Texans, Marc Vandermeer!

Quotes: Ryans discusses rehab, switch to 3-4

Posted Feb 14, 2011

Texans linebacker DeMeco Ryans recently went in-depth with Texans TV about his rehab from injury, his thoughts on transitioning to the 3-4 under Wade Phillips and more.

When DeMeco Ryans tore his left Achilles tendon on Oct. 17 against the Chiefs, it was the first major injury of his career. It also left the Texans without their two-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker and defensive captain for the final 10 games of the 2010 season.

Ryans, 25, is making steady progress this offseason toward a return to the field. He recently sat down with Texans TV at Reliant Stadium for an exclusive interview to discuss his rehab, his thoughts on transitioning to the 3-4 under Wade Phillips and more.

Click here to watch the interview. The transcript is below.

You walked into this interview with no cast, no walking boot on that left foot. What’s the latest in your rehab status?

“It’s feeling good now. I’m just happy to be progressing along fine. I think I’m about three months, three or four months in on the rehab. Time has flown by very quickly. But things are progressing well. Right now, I’ve just started to do a little extra, do a little running on our fancy treadmill, you could say. It lets me run at a different percentage of my body weight. Right now I’m running at about 65 percent of my body weight on the treadmill, which is going fine. No pain. Everything’s just been running smoothly.”

Take us through one of your typical days: What time you get here, what kind of stuff you do throughout the day.

“I get in about 8:30 in the morning, start rehab about 9. I spend about an hour just warming up my Achilles in the pool. I get a massage on there for 10-15 minutes. (I’m) doing a lot of stretching. That’s the most important thing is just trying to stretch it back out, so I spend a couple minutes stretching, trying to get a little motion in my ankle, a little flexibility in my foot. So that takes a while. Then I start doing exercises like squatting and calf-raises. A lot of different strengthening-type things (like) step-ups, just trying to get that strength back in my calf muscle.”

You’ve been rehabbing at Reliant Stadium for 4-5 days a week since your injury. You’ve got a lot of other teammates in the training room with you, but has it been hard for you to see light at the end of tunnel?

“Yeah, it’s kind of hard. I’ve been in there a while, and it’s weird. I see a lot of guys progressing along and a lot of guys that have came in after me that have had surgeries and they’re cleared already. So it’s kind of tough, but I have a long road to recovery. Some guys have minor clean-up surgeries; they’ll be in there for a couple weeks and they’re out of there. So it’s like a revolving door through there, but I’m one constant that’s going to be there for a while.”

Yours is a tough injury to come back from. Do you have any doubts that you’ll be able to come back at 100 percent?

“No doubts at all. There’s no doubt in my mind that I’ll be back, and back stronger and better than I was before.”

What have doctors told you along those lines, and do you have a certain target date set for when you’ll be 100 percent?

“I don’t have a certain target date. Most people that I talk to that have had the injury say it’s about a year to be all the way back. I don’t have a certain target date. I think I’ll be back before, feeling a lot better before a year. I’m just excited to (take) the next step in the rehab process. Hopefully, I can start running on the field in about three weeks. So, I’ll just take it the one step at a time. The next big step for me would be getting out on the field and doing some jogging on the field.”

What are your thoughts on new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and on switching to the 3-4?

“I’m excited that we have Wade in. Wade is a guy that’s very experienced in this league, so he brings a wealth of knowledge that I’m excited and eager to learn from him, learn a different scheme. I’ve never played in a 3-4 before. I’ve always been in a 4-3 from high school all the way up until now. So for me, I’m excited to learn something new, learn a different scheme. Just the challenge of learning something new, I’m excited about that. Wade seems like a great person. I have met with him one or two times. (He) seems like a great person and he understands ball, understands defense, and he knows what he’s doing.”

What are your some of your impressions of your new linebackers coach, Reggie Herring? He has a reputation of being a fiery guy and has been in Wade’s system for some time now.

“I met Reggie once. It seems like he’s very passionate about football. You can tell it means a lot to him and he loves to coach it. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Reggie. Everybody says he’s a great linebacker coach, so I’m ready to start getting with him and studying some film and learning from him also.”

Have you been able to delve into much yet as far as how your responsibilities might differ in a 3-4 versus a 4-3?

“It may be a little different, definitely from my standpoint of playing the MIKE linebacker. Now, you have two inside linebackers. So whether that’s me and Brian (Cushing), I’m not sure exactly where we’ll be, but I think both of us will be inside guys. So we’ll be playing next to each other, which we’ve done a lot of and had fun doing that. I think it’s a little different for us from a 4-3 to a 3-4 where we have to probably take on linemen more so than we did in the past. But my mentality is that football is football. There’s nothing totally new about it. It’s still 11-on-11, no matter how you line it up.”

From what you saw of what Phillips did in Dallas with DeMarcus Ware, what do you think about the prospects for guys like Mario Williams and Connor Barwin as edge rushers in the 3-4?

“I think it’ll be great for those guys. It’s a defense that opens it up for those guys and allows them to do what they do and that’s get after the passer. I think it’s going to be good for those guys to do what they do best and that’s rush the passer, get sacks, create turnovers.”

With the new defense, and with you coming off the injury after watching the end of last season in street clothes, how excited are you about moving forward in 2011 and helping this defense get turned around?

“I’m very excited. I think the most exciting thing for me is just to be out there again putting the helmet and pads on again; just getting back out there with my guys. Getting hurt in October and missing 10 games, it was tough for me to sit back and watch it. For me, I’m just excited to strap it up again and get back out there with my guys.”