After playing in Sunday's game at Miami, Houston Texans players and Head Coach David Culley expressed their condolences for the horrific tragedy that took place at NRG Park over the weekend.
The Astroworld music festival, organized by Houston music artist Travis Scott, had over 50,000 attendees. A crowd surge on Friday night during Scott's performance ended in eight deaths and the festival was canceled for the rest of the weekend.
"I just want to extend our condolences from the Texans to the tragedy that happened at Astroworld," Culley said. "I just want to say we're sorry for everybody involved."
"I know that something bigger than football happened back in our Houston community this past Friday at the festival," Tyrod Taylor said. "Just wanted to let the City of Houston know our organization, our team, our prayers are definitely with y'all. Never want to see loss of life, so we continue to keep praying for you."
"First and foremost, I'd like to send my condolences and prayers to friends and family affected by the events that took place Friday evening at the concert," DL Jacob Martin said. "On behalf of the Texans, I send my prayers and condolences to those affected."
On Friday, players practiced to the soundchecks for the festival taking place on the other side of the Houston Methodist Training Center. Organized by Scott, the two-day event was sold out, and concert goers had already begun arriving.
By the end of the night, the concert ended in tragedy with eight victims, whose ages ranged from 14 to 27 and dozens injured and hospitalized.
"I think in all of our position groups, we all saw videos and we all talked about it," Jenkins said. "I'm from Houston, but I didn't know it was right behind the practice fields, so we talked about it."
Houston Texans players are warming up at Hard Rock Stadium to take on the Miami Dolphins in Week 9 of the 2021 NFL Season. Check out the best photos presented by Gatorade.