So, on Thursday, I got the call from the bullpen. Marc Vandermeer decided that he was trading Breakfast with the Bulls to me for a few breakfast tacos to be named later. Well, he doesn't know that just yet, but once he reads this, he'll know.
And, I won't get cheated.
That said, when I did my solo radio show, I did a segment called the Ultimate 11. Many listeners and Twitter followers loved the Ultimate 11. Essentially, it's a list, like David Letterman's Top Ten, but better. Well, because it's eleven and not ten, that's what I meant. Anyhow, I put a unique, different theme each and every day on Twitter, announced it on the air and allowed people to chime in on the answers. So, I figured I'd go to my fastball one more time and do an Ultimate 11 again.
The U11 theme for today is Best Football Movie Character and why.
So, here goes...
- @Coach Solo and @Jason in the H - Phil Eliot from North Dallas 40 - mainly because who takes a hit on a cigarette at halftime of a professional game? Phil does. Duh.
- @Mike25tb - Willie Beamon from Any Given Sunday - "early version of JFF". @Seumaskeith said Beamon "was ahead of his time as a true dual threat QB, probably inspired Vick". How neither of y'all said he's the greatest QB rapper in a movie is a major, MAJOR miss. Still good enough for No. 10.
- @dustinbennett76 - Billy Bob from Varsity Blues - "because FAT". Well said, Dustin, well said.
- @theotherchip - Cap Rooney from Any Given Sunday - "seemed authentic to many veteran QB on the way out - DeBerg and Brunell come to mind". I felt for Cap, I mean, his wife was just dragging his nearly 40-year old carcass to the field when he clearly had enough. Tough guy and perfect description by Chip.
- @lad7 - Paul Crewe in Longest Yard (the original) - "Burt Reynolds, of course, because he was coach, captain and quarterback". Throw in the fact that he came back as a versatile coach-halfback-convict in the remake in 2005 and I might have him a bit too low on the list.
6. @TexasGringo730 - Riggins from Friday Night Lights - "he spent more time with Minka Kelly than I ever will". It's a TV show, but I'll allow the technicality. And, TG's got a point - what man spends a week in Mexico instead of going to school, shows up on Friday morning, balls out on the field that night and goes home with Minka after the game? Only Riggins.
- (Tie) Linebackers Bobby Boucher in the Waterboy and Daniel Bateman in The Replacements. @JasonintheH said "uh, Boucher had 19 sacks in one game" while @Rott2000 said "Bateman is highly underrated". As a measuring stick, has JJ Watt ever had 19 sacks in a game? I rest my case.
- @Furd_Turgeson - Johnny Utah in Point Break - "cool under pressure, great in a bank robbery, can handle crazy teammates (Gary Busey)". Any QB keeping Busey in line MUST be on the list.
- @bigmeanjohn - Charles Jefferson in Fast Times in Ridgemont High - "played like Derrick Thomas when his Z28 was trashed - My old man is a TV repairman". And, don't get it twisted, Fast Times is totally a football movie.
- Got this name a number of times Alvin Mack from the Program - said @irishmik "only football character that inspired me to try to play like him". @AlmightyDolla said "Best. Trashtalker. Ever.". Uh, yeah, you guys never heard Ivy League trash talk. #AlgorithmSmack
- @sportsmediaLM - Ms. Davis in Varsity Blues. Well, yeah...sorry my mind wandered for a minute. Uh, Ms. Davis...okay, yeah, she was a great health teacher.
There you have it, a tremendous job by the peeps. Thanks to all that participated and we'll be in touch soon.