Get to know defensive back Desmond King II, signed as an unrestricted free agent on March 30, 2021.
Name: Desmond King II
Position: Defensive back
Height/Weight: 5-10, 200
Hometown: Detroit, Michigan
Get to know Desmond:
- King was a 2017 fifth-round draft pick (151st overall) by the Los Angeles Chargers. As a rookie, he played in all 16 games with four starts and logged 71 total tackles (61 solo), 4.0 sacks, one interception for a touchdown, six tackles for loss, six quarterback hits and five passes defensed. He also averaged 20.8 yards on kickoff returns when he fielded 17 kickoffs for 353 yards.
- His first career NFL interception happened in Week 12 at Dallas during his rookie season. King picked off Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott and returned the ball 90 yards for a touchdown.
- In his second NFL season, King was named AP First Team All-Pro Defensive Back and AP Second Team All-Pro Punt Returner in 2018.
- Earlier in the 2018 season, King earned AFC Defensive Player of the Week (Week 9) when he picked off Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson and returned the ball 42 yards for the second pick-six of his career.
- King also earned AFC Special Teams Player of the Week during the 2018 season. In Week 13 at Pittsburgh, he fielded a punt and returned it 73 yards for a touchdown. He also recorded a season-high 10 tackles (nine solo) and two passes defensed in the game.
- In 2019, he became just the eighth player in Chargers history with multiple punt returns for touchdowns. King returned a punt 68 yards for a touchdown against the Denver Broncos in Week 5.
- King played four seasons (2013-16) at the University of Iowa. He was the only Big Ten player in a 20-year stretch with at least 12 interceptions and 1,500 combined return yards.
- He earned the Jim Thorpe Award given to the nation's best defensive back in 2015.
- King, who played defensive back and running back in high school, set a Michigan high school record with 29 career interceptions and set a school record for career rushing yards at East English Village Preparatory Academy.
- He also founded the King Kares Foundation in 2017 which provides financial support to underprivileged families in Detroit, Iowa City, and southern California.
- Last season, the Chargers traded King to the Tennessee Titans prior to Week 9. He played six games for Los Angeles and nine games for the Titans and notched 54 total tackles (39 solo), 2.0 sacks, two passes defensed, two tackles for loss, two quarterback hits and a fumble recovery with both the Chargers and the Titans.
Experience gameday together. Browse tickets here.