Get to know tight end Ryan Izzo, acquired via trade with the New England Patriots on March 23, 2021.
Name: Ryan Izzo
Position: Tight end
Height/Weight: 6-5, 255
Hometown: Sparta, New Jersey
School: Florida State
Get to know Ryan:
- Izzo, selected in the seventh round (250th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft, spent three seasons with the New England Patriots (2018-20). He caught 19 passes for 313 yards, averaging 16.5 yards per reception, and scored one touchdown in 18 games with 16 starts.
- After being placed on Injured Reserve following training camp his rookie year, Izzo made his NFL debut in 2019. He caught his first career touchdown in Week 5 against Washington, becoming the 73rd player to catch a touchdown pass from quarterback Tom Brady.
- Izzo played three seasons (2015-17) at Florida State University after redshirting his freshman year (2014). In his first full season with the Seminoles, he led all Florida State tight ends in receptions (14), yards (210) and touchdowns (two) and ranked fifth on the team in receptions and receiving yards.
- As a redshirt junior, he recorded career highs in receptions (20), receiving yards (317), touchdowns (three) and yards per reception (15.9) in 2017. Prior to the season, Izzo was on the Watch List for the John Mackey Award, given to the country's best tight end.
- Izzo was a lefty quarterback in high school before he converted to tight end.
- He attended Pope John XXIII High School in Sparta, N.J. where he captured All-West Jersey First Team in football and All-West Jersey Second Team honors in basketball.
- Last season, Izzo had his best NFL season yet starting all 12 games he played in for the Patriots. He recorded 13 catches for 199 yards before being placed on Injured Reserve prior to Week 14.
Join the Houston Texans family by signing up for the FREE Priority Waitlist here.