Although there were plenty of rumors about the Texans trading up into the first round, the top 32 picks went off the board without the Texans making that move. As such, sitting at No. 40, the Texans are, honestly, sitting in a great spot. I don't know that I could have come up with a better situation. Only two players came off the board that I thought MIGHT make it all the way to No. 40 for the Texans. TCU cornerback Jeff Gladney went to San Francisco at No. 31 and LSU star running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire was selected at No. 32 to the World Champion Kansas City Chiefs.
Now, I'm not surprised in the slightest that nearly every running back is still on the board, minus Edwards-Helaire. The one player that is a bit of a head-scratcher is Alabama safety Xavier McKinney. I thought for sure he'd go off the board but he's available heading into Friday's action. This is the list of players still remaining on the Harris 100, right up to player No. 40.
17. Running back Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
18. Safety Xavier McKinney, Alabama
21. Interior defensive lineman Ross Blacklock, TCU
22. Defensive end A.J. Epenesa, Iowa
23. Running back D'Andre Swift, Georgia
24. Cornerback Jaylon Johnson, Utah
28. Running back J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State
30. Wide receiver Laviska Shenault, Colorado
31. Defensive end Jordan Elliott, Missouri
33. Wide receiver Denzel Mims, Baylor
34. Defensive end Marlon Davidson, Auburn
36. Edge rusher/Outside linebacker Zack Baun
38. Cornerback Kristian Fulton, LSU
39. Interior defensive lineman Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
40. Safety Grant Delpit, LSU
I can't reiterate how much I really like the way the board turned out after night one. Davidson and Epenesa are still on the board. Both safeties at the top of my board are still there (McKinney and Delpit). The interior defensive guys that I hoped would be there are all there. No. 40 is going to be ultra-interesting on Friday night and I can't wait.
Click HERE for more in-depth looks from John Harris.