Tashaun Gipson signed a free agent deal with the Texans in mid-March, and he comes to Houston with seven years of NFL experience and 20 career interceptions. General manager Brian Gaine is currently in Arizona at the NFL Annual Meetings, and he spoke with the voice of the Texans Marc Vandermeer on Monday afternoon.
In tandem with safety Justin Reid, Gipson will be an impact player for the Texans defense, according to Gaine.
"Tashaun Gipson's coming here to be one of our starting safeties," Gaine said.
Gipson started 16 games in each of the last three seasons, picking off a combined six passes in that span. In Gaine's interview with Vandermeer, he reeled off eight key reasons the Texans wanted Gipson.
1. "Someone we're uniquely familiar with, because we played him twice a year with the Jaguars."
2. "We think he's got a fully dimensional skillset, as it relates to playing man coverage, playing zone coverage."
3. "He can support the run."
4. "He's a good tackler."
5. "He's a good communicator."
6. "He can play on the back end."
7. "He can come down and play in the box."
8. "And obviously he has experience playing in the AFC South."
Check out some of the best shots of new Texans safety Tashaun Gipson. (Photos via AP Images.)