The St. Louis Rams have confirmed reports that they canceled their Thursday practice due to confirmed cases of swine flu.
Texans coach Gary Kubiak, whose team dealt with a swine flu scare earlier this season, called it a "tough" situation for the Rams after the Texans wrapped up their Thursday practice. Kubiak was asked if he's worried about putting his players at risk when they play the Rams on Sunday.
"You worry about what you can control, and I can't control that," Kubiak said. "So we just have to deal with each situation as it comes up."
According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Rams players were seen driving out of Rams Park at about 11:30 a.m. today after visiting with team medical officials.
"Yesterday we had a couple of guys come through that had sickness and flu-like symptoms and we sent them home," coach Steve Spagnuolo said, per Thomas. "We had a few more of them this morning. They went over to the doctor and we got some of those guys out of here.
"After that, I was advised by the doctors somewhere in the morning that . . .it might be best just to get everybody away from each other. It's really more of a precaution than anything else. So we've done that. We've sent all the guys home. They've all visited, each one of them, with the trainers. Not all of them, obviously, are sick but we're checking everybody. And we're just being careful."
According to Thomas, Spagnuolo said that five or six players could have the swine flu and that quarterback Kyle Boller and center Jason Brown, who missed practice yesterday with undisclosed illnesses, had swine flu symptoms on Wednesday. Brown's condition apparently had improved on Thursday.
If Boller is unable to play, rookie quarterback Keith Null will get his second start for the Rams. Null threw five interceptions last Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.