Skip to main content
Houston Texans

We made it!

Hi Texans fans! I am proud to say that the try-out process is finally over and our 2009 Houston Texans Cheerleader squad is now formed. This year's try-out was unlike any other year, so I thought I would provide a quick behind-the-scenes view of my experience.

In the past, there are four rounds of dancing on the first day of tryouts and veterans join the process in round three. This year, we had to start from scratch in round one. I woke up that morning at 6 a.m. feeling energized and ready to dance! Amanda and Randi met at my house at 7 a.m. along with a hair stylist to help us look fabulous for the big day. Unfortunately, the weather was not comparable to my sunny mood. It was dark, overcast and drizzling every 20 minutes. We arrived at the Methodist Training Center at 9:15 a.m., registered and walked in to be greeted by our former teammates and cheerleader alumni.

We began learning the round-1 routine a little after 10 a.m. and shortly after we were lined up and ready to go. The routine was definitely an endurance tester to say the least! By the time I finished, I was out breath but ultimately happy with my performance. Now the hardest part of tryout's ensued…waiting for the judges to make their decisions.

After several hours passed, I advanced to the second and third round. By 8 o'clock, 42 finalists were announced! I was exhausted, hungry and exhilarated at the same time. We had interviews and several practices that week and were anticipating our first performance for the fans on Draft Day.

Again, this year's Draft Day was unlike any other year. We were all given a number and were advised that the fans would have an opportunity to cast their ballot and vote on their favorite finalists. We had several autograph sessions and appearances throughout the stadium before our big performance in the Verizon Wireless West Club. It was show time! The fans were introduced to each finalist one-by-one by our cheerleader services manager Alto Gary. Them, we performed two high-energy dance routines. It was so much fun and the fans went nuts! I had almost forgotten how great it was to perform in Reliant Stadium.

After Draft Day, we had one more opportunity to impress Alto and the judges at our final practice before the unveiling of the team. Practice was intense, as we all danced in small groups trying our hardest to show how badly we all wanted to be a Texans Cheerleader.

Then, the day I had been waiting for arrived. I walked into the stadium a finalist and walked out a 2009 Texans Cheerleader. Hearing Alto call my number was amazing. I was relieved, excited, anxious and overcome with emotion. I hugged my veteran teammates and welcomed the rookies to our family. I am so happy that this process has come to a close and look forward to a wonderful season with my new teammates.

For more behind the scenes footage on try-outs be sure to tune in to The Making of a Texans Cheerleader Sunday, May 10th at 10:35 p.m. on ABC 13.

Go Texans!

  • Sonya
This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.