Offensive tackle Derek Newton (6-5, 311) was selected by the Texans in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
A native of Utica, Miss., Newton answered 10 questions for HoustonTexans.com after practice on Saturday Afternoon.
1. How has training camp been going for you so far?
"Training camp right now is going pretty good for me. I'm just getting in my playbook every night, trying to learn my plays the best that I can. It's just (a matter of) going out on the field and transferring them."
2. Now that training camp is coming to an end, what are the next steps before Saturday's game?
"Pretty much just in my playbook every chance I get to make sure that I know my right calls, know everywhere that I have to go and just know my assignments."
3. What are you most excited about this season?
"Just being a part of this team and being able to help the team any way I can."
4. Who are you hanging out with the most?
"Right now, I conversate with lots of people, but I'm mostly just hanging with the O-line and trying to ask them about plays here and there – what to do, how to study film and stuff like that."
5. What is your favorite TV show?
"My favorite tv show would be 'Martin.' There's just something about Martin, he's a funny guy. Everything he does is just hilarious."
6. What was your first car?
"A 2003 Crown Vic."
7. What are your favorite hobbies?
"Pretty much just hanging out, going to the movies and fishing."
8. What kind of music is currently on your iPod?
"It's a variety of stuff. Rap, R&B… I have a variety of everything."
9. What would consider to be your perfect day?
"A day where I can sit up and just watch MTV or SportsCenter all day, relax and lay back in the AC."
10. What's the main thing the coaches have had you work on throughout training camp?
"Adjusting my feet, my kick-step, and just being able to get all my steps down."