Quick hits from the Texans' first practice of training camp on a scorching-hot morning at the Methodist Training Center:
- Wide receiver Andre Johnson, whose contract has been a hot topic this offseason, reported to practice without a hint of discord. Afterward, Texans owner Bob McNair indicated the Texans are willing to sit down and talk with Johnson about his contract, which has five years remaining on it. We'll have more on that shortly.
- All of the Texans' rookies were at practice except for cornerback Kareem Jackson, the first-round pick out of Alabama. There was a report this morning that Jackson had signed and would be at practice, but that was not true. "He hasn't signed yet, but should be out here this afternoon," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said.
- Tight end Owen Daniels did not practice as he continues to recover from an ACL injury. He spent parts of practice riding a stationary bike. "I think we're going to have a better idea in a couple of weeks," Kubiak said about Daniels' return date. "His rehab has picked up…We're all hoping for opening day."
- Brian Cushing, who's suspended for the first four games of the season, got first-team reps at strongside linebacker. "As we're teaching these first 10 days, there are a plenty of reps to go around," Kubiak said. "We don't change anything. As we approach the preseason, then some of that mindset will change." Xavier Adibi and Danny Clark are the likely candidates to start in Cushing's absence.
- McNair discussed Cushing's suspension at length, with no shortage of interesting comments. Stay tuned.
- As expected, Arian Foster lined up as the first-team running back. The competition for that spot should be fierce. Steve Slaton is healthy and no longer wearing the red non-contact jersey he had during OTAs, and rookie Ben Tate's hamstring injury is behind him. And don't forget about Chris Henry and Jeremiah Johnson; Kubiak said that the reps would be split "right down the middle" between all five backs.
- There were thousands of fans out at practice this morning, the first of the Texans' six open practices. The next open practice is Saturday morning at 8 a.m.
- The weather report right after practice read 85 degrees with a heat index of 105. In other words, it was a hot morning. "Day 1 and already gettin an I.V. this heat is out of control," linebacker Zac Diles tweeted after practice.