Sherrick McManis intercepted five passes in 2009 for Northwestern University.
Cornerback Sherrick McManis was drafted by the Texans in the fifth round (144th overall) out of Northwestern University on Saturday, April 24.
A 2009 co-captain, McManis picked off five passes as a senior en route to being named first team All-Big 10.
With organized team activities on the horizon, we caught up with McManis for a "10 Questions" interview about his Northwestern education, favorite things to do away from the field and more.
1. What's your hardest class at Northwestern?
"Just one? (laughs) Mediated Communications. It was hard to grasp at the beginning because it has a lot of terminology and a lot of things you have to remember for that class. Another tough one, that I actually liked, was Physics."
2. What was your favorite class?
"Team Leadership and Decision-Making."
3. You're graduating with a communications degree in June. What does that mean to you?
"It means the world to me, honestly. I'll be the first person in my family to graduate from a four-year university. It's something I really did want to finish, regardless of my situation with football. I'm on the right path and headed down the straight-away right now."
4. Who was the toughest receiver you faced in college?
"We put a lot of focus on (Ohio State's) Ted Ginn once upon a time. (Michigan's) Mario Manningham. Devin Thomas from Michigan State. They're all good receivers. Preparing for them was a little different, because they were special guys."
5. What do you know about Northwestern Alum/Texans special teams captain Kevin Bentley?
"I haven't had a chance yet to meet him or talk to him, but I know he's at the facility representing Northwestern, and I'm happy I can have his back and help him out. That's great, because I love special teams myself. Coming into Northwestern I was able to make an impact pretty quickly and help the team out. Later that season I was able to start at corner. Special teams is definitely something I want to thrive at when I get to camp."
6. What do you know about your new position coach, David Gibbs?
"Man, I like him already. I don't know as much as I will know yet, but I know he's a fiery guy. He's definitely an honest guy. He doesn't tell you what you want to hear, but what you need to hear. I respect that."
7. What's something about you—off the field—that people might be surprised to know?
"I'm a racquetball baller. I like paintball fighting."
8. What's your favorite food?
"I'm going to go with my mom's spaghetti. I can't get enough of that."
9. Do you have any superstitions?
"No. But I'm a spiritual guy, so I like to pray just about everything."
10. What would you be doing if you weren't headed to the NFL?
"Job-searching! Probably looking for an internship or something like that. If not, playing basketball."