HOUSTON TEXANS POSTGAME NOTES**
Arizona 27, Houston 24
Sunday, Nov. 10, 2013
University of Phoenix Stadium
TEXANS TEAM NOTES
• Houston lost their seventh consecutive game, falling to 2-7 on the season
• Houston fell to 1-2 all-time against the Cardinals and 0-2 all-time at University of Phoenix Stadium
• With the loss, the Texans fell to 0-4 against the NFC West in 2013
• Arizona outgained Houston was 332-235 and the held the ball for 31:08.
• Houston won the turnover battle for the second time this season, but fell to 0-2 in those contests
• The Texans won the toss and elected to receive
• Houston's captains for the game were WR Andre Johnson, QB Matt Schaub, P Shane Lechler and DE J.J. Watt.
• Inactive players for the Texans were QB T.J. Yates, RB Arian Foster, RB Ray Graham, ILB Mike Mohamed, T Andrew Gardner, G Cody White and DE Tim Jamison
• Rookie D.J. Swearinger recorded his first career interceptions and TE Ryan Griffin caught his first career touchdown pass in the second quarter. It marked the fourth time in franchise history the Texans had rookies score a touchdown and intercept a pass in the same game and first time since 2006.
INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES:
T DUANE BROWN
• Moved into a tie with Steve McKinney for 12th place on the franchise's all-time games played list having played in his 83rd career game for the Texans
K RANDY BULLOCK
• Connected on a 48-yard field goal in the second quarter tying his career-long
TE GARRETT GRAHAM
• Had two receptions for 18 yards, setting a career-high for receiving yards in a season (268). Graham's previous career-high was 263 yards in 2012
• Scored his first career touchdown on a 2-yard reception from Case Keenum in the second quarter
WR DEANDRE HOPKINS
• Lead all Texans receivers with 69 yards receiving on six receptions, including a long of 22
WR ANDRE JOHNSON
• Extended his streak of consecutive games played with a reception to 110 and his franchise record or games played to 147
• Caught his fourth touchdown of the season and the 60th of his career on a 7-yard reception from Case Keenum in the first quarter
• Passed Hines Ward (12,083) to move into 19th place on the NFL's all-time receiving yards list with his second reception of the game
• Caught his second touchdown of the game and fifth touchdown of the season on a 5-yard reception from Keenum in the fourth quarter, the 10th multi-touchdown game of his career.
RB DENNIS JOHNSON
• Recorded his first career reception for 14 yards in the second quarter
• Had 7 yards rushing on four attempts
RB GREG JONES
• Had a 19-yard reception in the first quarter, his longest reception since a 22-yard reception vs. Houston on Sept. 28, 2008
• Returned two kickoffs 43 yards including a long of 26 yards
RB DEJI KARIM
• Made his Texans debut as kick returner on the opening kickoff of the game
• Has three kick returns for 75 yards including a long of 31 yards
QB CASE KEENUM
• Completed 22-of-43 passes for 201 yards and three touchdowns for a passer rating of 87.5
• Had 13 yards rushing on two attempts
P SHANE LECHLER
• Averaged 58.9 yards on seven punts, including a long of 65 yards and two downed inside the 20-yard line
• Became the sixth player in NFL history to reach 50,000 punting yards in his career on his second punt of the game
• Lechler's 58.9 yard punting average ranks 7th-best in NFL history and set a Texans single-game record with a minimum of four punts. The previous Texans record was 54.2, held by Donnie Jones at Denver on Sept. 23, 2012
• Lechler's seven punts moved him past Dan Stryzinski (1,055) into 16th place and tied him with Brian Hansen (1,057) for 15th place on the all-time list with 1,057 career punts.
WR KESHAWN MARTIN
• Recorded a season-high punt return of 12 yards in the first quarter, previously 11 yards vs. Baltimore on Sept. 22
WR DEVIER POSEY
• Tied a career-high with three receptions, good for 34 yards
ILB DARRYL SHARPTON
• Lead the Texans with eight tackles (five solo), his second-highest mark this season
SS D.J. SWEARINGER
• Recorded the first interception of his career, picking off a pass from Carson Palmer in the second quarter and returning it 0 yards
• Had two passes defensed, the first two of his NFL career
ILB JEFF TARPINIAN
• Made his Texans debut on special teams during the opening kickoff
RB BEN TATE
• Leads the Texans in rushing with 56 yards on 15 attempts, including a long of 12.
CB JOSH VICTORIAN
• Made his Texans debut on special teams on PAT block in the first quarter
• Recorded a special teams tackle on Shane Lechler's first punt of the game
DE J.J. WATT
• Recorded a second-quarter sack of Carson Palmer for a loss of 7 yards also forcing a fumble that he then recovered. Watt has 6.5 sacks on the season.
• Watt forced and recovered another fumble on a Rashad Mendenhall rush in the fourth quarter giving him 3 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries on the season.
SCORING DRIVE NOTES:
• Houston's first quarter scoring drive spanned 49 yards on 8 plays and lasted 4:52, capped by a 7-yard touchdown pass from Case Keenum to Andre Johnson.
• Houston's first second quarter scoring drive spanned 80 yards on 9 plays and lasted 4:20, capped by a 2-yard touchdown pass from Case Keenum to Ryan Griffin
• Houston's second second quarter scoring drive spanned 15 yards on 6 plays and last 2:09, capped by a 48-yard field goal by Randy Bullock
• Houston's fourth quarter scoring drive spanned 5 yards on 3 plays and lasted 0:12, capped by a 5-yard touchdown pass from Case Keenum to Andre Johnson