Houston Texans (2-1) vs. New Orleans Saints (3-0)
Sunday, August 25, 2013
WITH THE LOSS…
• Houston ended a five-game home winning streak in the preseason. It was the first home preseason loss since a 24-17 loss against Tampa Bay on Sept. 2, 2010.
• Houston fell to 3-4 all-time against New Orleans in the preseason.
• Houston fell to 21-27 all-time in the preseason.
• Houston fell to 18-13 in the preseason under Head Coach Gary Kubiak.
• Extended their streak of sellouts in preseason, regular season and postseason games to 114 at Reliant Stadium.
• Set a franchise preseason record for single-game attendance with 71,611. The previous record was 71,401 against Miami on August 17.
TEXANS TEAM NOTES
• Houston set a franchise preseason record with 496 yards of offense, eclipsing the previous mark of 439 set against Minnesota on August 9. The Texans have produced 400 yards of offense in all three preseason games this season.
• Houston set a franchise single-game preseason record with 355 net passing yards, surpassing the previous mark of 316 yards against Tampa Bay on Sept. 2, 2010.
• Houston ran for a 2013 preseason-best 141 yards.
• Houston won time of possession, holding the ball for 34:26. Houston led the NFL in time of possession in 2011 and 2012.
• The Texans outgained the Saints 164-28 in the first quarter and held the ball for 11:15. Houston outgained New Orleans 281-245 and held the ball for 17:59 in the first half.
• Houston's first-quarter touchdown drive spanned 69 yards on nine plays and lasted 4:48. The team ran for 53 yards on the drive, 51 of which came from RB Ben Tate.
• The Texans won the toss and elected to receive.
• Houston's captains for the game were ILB Brian Cushing, WR Andre Johnson, QB Matt Schaub and DE J.J. Watt.
INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES
• K Randy Bullock improved to 6-of-7 on field goal attempts this preseason with field goals of 48, 55 and 21 yards in the second quarter. Bullock's 55-yard field goal would have ranked as the fourth-longest in the team's regular season history (57 by Neil Rackers 12/26/10 at Denver and Kris Brown 10/7/07 vs. Miami; 56 by Brown 11/8/09 vs. Indianapolis)
• DE Jared Crick recorded his first sack of the preseason, dropping QB Drew Brees for a 6-yard loss in the first quarter.
• TE Garrett Graham caught three passes for 27 yards to run his preseason receptions total to 12, moving him into a tie for second place in Houston's preseason single-season record book.
Houston Texans Single-Season Preseason Receptions
2008 Kevin Walter 13
2013 Garrett Graham 12
2010 Andre Johnson 12
2010 Jacoby Jones 12
2010 James Casey 12
2008 David Anderson 12
• WR Andre Johnson led the Texans with seven receptions for 131 yards. It was the second 100-yard receiving effort of Johnson's career in the preseason and the fourth ever recorded by a Texan in the preseason.
• Johnson's first-half receiving total of 131 yards ranks behind only Jacoby Jones' 148 yards against Tampa Bay (9/4/09) in Houston's preseason annals.
• RB Ben Tate's 39-yard run to the left side on Houston's second offensive series was the team's longest of the preseason.
• Tate capped Houston's first-quarter touchdown drive with a 1-yard run, his first of the preseason. He ran for 51 yards on the drive.
• Tate had eight carries for 69 yards (8.6 average) and a touchdown in the first quarter and finished the first half with .
• P Shane Lechler's first punt as a Texan came at the end of Houston's first drive. It went 44 yards and was downed by FS Shiloh Keo at the Saints' 2-yard line.
• QB Matt Schaub completed 7-of-10 passes for 91 yards and a 98.3 passer rating in the first quarter.
• Schaub finished the first half 15-of-26 for 213 yards and an 84.3 passer rating. Schaub's 213 yards passing is the most by a Texans player in a preseason game, surpassing David Carr's previous high of 205, set on August 23, 2003 against San Diego.
• QB T.J. Yates spelled Matt Schaub to start the third quarter. Yates completed 7-of-9 passes for 73 yards, one touchdown and a 137.5 passer rating.
• Yates moved into a tie for second on Houston's preseason single-season touchdown list with his touchdown pass to rookie Alec Lemon in the third quarter.
Preseason Passing Touchdowns
2007 Sage Rosenfels 4
2013 T.J. Yates 3
2008 Matt Schaub 3
2006 Sage Rosenfels 3
2005 Dave Ragone 3