Skip to main content

Postgame notebook: Texans at Eagles


Playing through pain:Wide receiver Andre Johnson will have an MRI on his right ankle on Friday morning. Johnson re-aggravated a high-ankle sprain on the Texans' second play of the game after being tackled by his facemask.

The pain was so bad that Johnson had to go to the locker room for a painkilling injection in the second quarter. He finished with six catches for 149 yards in a gritty performance.

"I don't know how bad it is. It's numb right now," Johnson said after the game. "When I was playing before I came in (to the locker room), I was limping when I was out on the field, and I told them that I needed to do something if I was going to continue to play. We came in and numbed it up. When I came back, I looked like a new person. The rest of the game, I felt fine."

Johnson originally sprained his ankle in Week 2 against the Redskins. He was not listed on the injury report this week for the first time since suffering the injury.

"I'm not really worried about it," Johnson said. "Just from the diagnosis the doctor took, he said he thinks that I just re-tweaked it, and we'll find out in the morning."

Schaub OK: Quarterback Matt Schaub also left the game with an injury, though he only missed one play.

Schaub was slammed to the ground by Eagles defensive end Darryl Tapp on the second-to-last play of the first half. He briefly clutched his helmet with both hands while lying on the ground and received on-field attention from the Texans' medical staff. Backup Dan Orlovsky came in for the last play of the half and handed off to Arian Foster, but Schaub returned without a hitch in the third quarter.

"He was fine," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "He just hit the ground hard right there before the half and went in. The doctors checked him out and were very confident that he was fine. He's doing fine."

Schaub finished with a 99.0 passer rating on 22-of-36 passing for 337 yards. He had two touchdowns and one interception and lost a fumble late in the fourth quarter.

"You know, he played pretty darn well," Kubiak said. "I know we'd like to have the (interception) back, but he played pretty well."

False start issues: Texans left tackle Duane Brown had three false-start penalties at sold-out Lincoln Financial Field. He had only one false start penalty in his seven previous games this season.

"There's no excuse for that," Kubiak said. "He's the guy on the edge; that's what he does for a living. You know, that can't happen. We deal with noise all the time. You guys know we work with it all the time at home (in practice). There's no excuses for that. That hurt us. You're 1st and 15 or 1st and 20 against this football team, in this stadium, it gets really, really tough."

Brown's final false start came three plays after the Eagles took a 27-24 lead early in the fourth quarter. The Texans had picked up a first down at their own 33-yard line. Brown was penalized on the next snap, and the Texans punted four plays later after failing to convert on third-and-seven.

Foster sets mark: Foster scored two touchdowns – one rushing, one receiving – to set a new franchise single-season record with 15 touchdowns. The previous record was 14, set by running back Domanick Williams in 2004.

The league leader in rushing yards and scrimmage yards coming into the game, Foster had 83 rushing yards against the Eagles on 3.8 yards per carry. He added 26 receiving yards to finish with 109 yards from scrimmage.

Foster now has 1,230 rushing yards and 1,709 from scrimmage on the season.

INT for Allen: Cornerback Jason Allen had his fourth interception of the season and first with the Texans on a deep pass intended for Jeremy Maclin in the third quarter. It was only the second interception this season for Eagles quarterback Michael Vick.

Allen had three interceptions with the Miami Dolphins earlier this season. His playing time has increased in each game since the Texans acquired him off waivers on Nov. 11.

The fifth-year cornerback also led the Texans with nine tackles, all solo.

No P.I. for Walter: One of the first nails in the coffin on Thursday came when the Texans, trailing 34-24, were unable to convert on fourth-and-five from their own 45-yard line with 3:24 remaining.

After calling their first timeout of the second half, the Texans tried a deep pass to wide receiver Kevin Walter down the right sideline. It appeared that rookie cornerback Trevard Lindley made contact with Walter as he made a leaping attempt at the ball, but no flag for pass interference was thrown. The pass fell incomplete for a turnover on downs.

"It looks like to me there definitely should be a call there," Kubiak said. "I tried to give Matt a chance to make a big play if we get the right coverage in that situation. You know, fourth and five, it's easy to sit there and say, 'Let's just see if we can get the first down,' but if the team wants to blitz you, heck, let's try to score. So we did. We caught the blitz, we put it up and told Andre and Kevin, 'If we put it up, make sure you're fighting back to the ball so if we don't make the catch, we get the call.' I thought Kevin did his job and I thought there should have been a call, but I could be wrong. I have to go look at it."

Walter said the game didn't come down to one play, but he clearly was upset about the non-call in question.

"I was making a play for the ball, and I thought the guy grabbed me," Walter said. "You watch the play, I think you can see it. Very frustrating. You've got to go out there and make a play, and I thought he pass interfered. I've got to watch it on film and see exactly what happened."

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content