Each Thursday throughout the 2007 season (except for Week 15), we will conduct interviews with players and stream them live on Texans TV. This week, we feature starting tight end Owen Daniels, who leads the team in receptions and receiving yards with 29 catches for 372 yards.
The best part about this series of live interviews is that fans can submit their own questions for the player by **clicking here**. Please include your name and where you're from.
Click on the window to the right to view the archived version of the Owen Daniels interview. Below is a transcript of the interview.
1) Jason Duplechin (Houston, TX): Do you see yourself being more comfortable as a blocking tight end or as a receiving tight end?
Owen Daniels: I like to be a combination of both. I want to be a complete tight end, and to me that's someone who can be effective running around and catching the ball and someone who can hold up blocking for the run game and protecting when we want to throw the ball as well.
Brooke Bentley (Texans TV): You've had to do a little bit of everything with so many wide receivers out. How do you think your role had changed in the last few weeks?
Owen Daniels: I think I may have gotten a few more opportunities to make some plays in the passing game without Andre (Johnson) in the game because he gets a lot of ball when he's in there. We've all had to step up, but I think I've just gotten a few more opportunities.
2) Bob Oso (Harlingen, TX): On the Texans, there are several very talented players on both offense and defense. What do you believe the team needs to win consistently?
Owen Daniels: We need to stop turning the ball over on offense. If we can have a game where we don't turn the ball over, I'm pretty confident we'll come out with a victory. And also on the offensive side of the ball, if we can score touchdowns instead of kicking field goals, that will help us out a lot. I think the defense is playing well. They've been getting turnovers for us. For them, maybe it's getting off the field on third downs. For the offense, it's staying on the field when we're in third down situations.
Brooke Bentley (Texans TV): People have been saying the red zone is like the Bermuda Triangle for you guys. You get down there and weird things start happening. What do you think has been the cause of those weird things?
Owen Daniels: I don't think anyone has a really good answer for it. We do a good job of moving the ball all over the field, but when we get down – even inside the five-yard line, goal-line situations – we kind of forget what we're doing or we're not able to execute like we usually do. I think if we can get the running game going, that will help us out a lot in the red zone.
3) Tyrone Carter (Miami, FL): Do you believe you're in the top tier of tight ends in the NFL?
Owen Daniels: Honestly, I don't think I can put myself in the same category as Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates or those types of guys who've been playing for awhile and have been to a bunch of Pro Bowls. I'm only in my second year and I'm trying to establish myself as a good player. And I'm just going to keep working and, hopefully, some day I can be mentioned in the same category as them.
4) Rich (Beaumont, TX): Does the team have any plays designed for you to throw the ball?
Owen Daniels: We had a little play during training camp and I don't think it worked out so well so we haven't used since then. I think we're going to try to stick to some basics; we're going to stay away from the trickeration right now.
Brooke Bentley (Texans TV): Do you ever practice throwing on the scout team?
Owen Daniels: I don't do much throwing. I hurt my shoulder last year so that's kind of hindered me a little from throwing as well as I usually do. So I think they're kind of weary of using me.
5) Kris (Houston, TX): If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you want to have with you?
Owen Daniels: I would bring my girlfriend, Christina. I would probably bring our new puppy, Vegas. And I can I bring a refrigerator full of food?
6) Jessica Peterson (Houston, TX): Do you have any pets?
Owen Daniels: I do. I just got a brand new puppy that's about eight weeks old. It's a Golden Doodle. It's a Golden Retriever and Standard Poodle mix.
Brooke Bentley (Texans TV): How big is that?
Owen Daniels: It's tiny right now. It's only about six pounds, but it will get to probably be about 50-55 pounds.
7) Bridget Daniels (Naperville, IL): I can't wait to visit, and to see you play on Sunday! The last time I went to see you play against the Titans with Dad, you scored two Touchdowns. Can you can do that again? And can you pick me up at the airport Saturday morning?
Owen Daniels: I'll pick her up Saturday, that's doable. And I'll try to get into the end zone for her. I've got to at least match what I did last time.
Texans Live archive
- Dunta Robinson (**Oct. 11, 2007**)
- DeMeco Ryans (**Oct. 4, 2007**)
- André Davis (**Sept. 27, 2007**)
- Amobi Okoye (**Sept. 20, 2007**)
- Mario Williams (**Sept. 13, 2007**)
- Jacoby Jones (**Sept. 6, 2007**)