Rookie minicamp begins this week with drafted, undrafted and tryout players all arriving at NRG Stadium, possibly for their very first time. For those that need a crash course on Houston, here are five tips to get rookies (and really anyone new to the area) acclimated to Houston.
- There are two seasons. Summer and Not-summer. Currently, it’s summer. Hydrate yourselves, accordingly. Deshaun Watson knows.
- No matter how much you fight it, you will want cowboy boots and probably a hat too. Offensive lineman Zach Fulton literally just moved from Kansas City and did not waste any time. Cowboy boots are considered casual, formal, semi-formal, country, country chic, basically appropriate for any occasion. Plus, you will want to be fully prepared for rodeo season which takes place during not-summer.
- NASA is really, really cool. When astronauts at the Space Center Houston aren’t working on their next big mission, they are big supporters of the Houston Texans, even announcing a draft pick from space last year. Conversely, the Texans are big fans of NASA.
- Don't waste any time getting acclimated with your new favorite professional sports teams.
- The restaurant scene will overwhelm you. When it does, Houstonians and Twitter will always be at your service 24/7.
The Texans three-day rookie minicamp takes place Friday, May 11 through Sunday, May 13.
The Texans hosted the 16th Annual Houston Texans Charity Golf Classic presented by BMW at River Oaks Country Club. The event has raised nearly $5 million for the Houston Texans Foundation since its inception in 2002.