For Brock Osweiler, choosing to be at OTA practice trumped an invitation to visit the White House with the Denver Broncos.
"If there was no OTA today, I would have gone to the White House," Osweiler said Monday. "I think it would have been a tremendous experience to meet the President and to celebrate that championship with those players that are going today."
The 25-year-old quarterback started seven games of eight games for the Broncos last year. Now learning a new system as a Texan, Osweiler didn't want to miss valuable time on the field or in the meeting room this offseason.
"I believe that every single practice, every single rep, every single meeting that I can get in this new offense is the most important thing for myself and my teammates right now and so yes, I stand by what I said last week," Osweiler said.
Osweiler made the decision last week to decline the traditional White House invitation offered to the Super Bowl champions each year. It was Osweiler's decision to be made, according to head coach Bill O'Brien.
"It's obviously a decision that he made and it's voluntary camp so those decisions are up to the players," O'Brien said. "So, I really didn't have a thought one way or another. I just know the approach that we take during this period of time when it's voluntary is we're ready to coach the guys that are here. We don't try to lose any sleep over somebody that won't be here because it's voluntary. So that's the way we approach it with any player."
In 2015, Vince Wilfork did make the post-Super Bowl trip to the White House with his former team, the New England Patriots.
Check out some of the best shots from Monday's OTA workout.