Wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, the Texans' first-round draft pick from Clemson, met with the Houston media on Friday afternoon in an introductory press conference in the press box at Reliant Stadium.
Quick notes from his arrival day in Houston:
1. Warm welcome: Hopkins flew in from Central, S.C., with his mother, Sabrina Greenlee. It was the first trip to Houston for both of them. "As soon as I got off the plane, I was greeted by fans, so I know it's a love city," Hopkins said. "I can see that excitement from the beginning."
2. Number 10: Hopkins will wear number 10 with the Texans. He posed with his jersey during a photo op in the Texans' locker room, where his new locker is situated right next to Andre Johnson's.
3. Teammate love: Hopkins said he got text messages from Texans quarterback Matt Schaub and defensive end J.J. Watt after he was picked on Thursday night. "(Schaub) was just telling me congratulations and to come in to be ready to help this team win," Hopkins said.
- Playing style:** "I feel like I'm a physical wide receiver and I bring a competitive edge to the Texans," Hopkins said.
5. Tight family: Hopkins's mother was the victim of a life-altering violent attack in 2002. "I love her more than any other woman," he said during his introductory press conference. "We've been through a lot."
6. Relentless: Hopkins, asked to describe himself in one word: "It would be 'relentless,' because I play with an edge and I feel like I'm relentless out there on the field."
7. Willing blocker: Hopkins doesn't shy away from contact in the running game. "With a great running back like Arian (Foster), I have to be downfield blocking to make his runs longer," he said. "He's gonna get in open space, and I'll have to try to be able to help him out."