The Texans travel to western New York for a Sunday noon CT contest against the Buffalo Bills this weekend. The two squads last met in the Divisional Round of the 2019 NFL playoffs, as Houston stormed back from a double-digit second-half deficit, winning in overtime, 22-19. Several players and coaches share connections between the two franchises, and a few of the more notable ones are listed below.
- Texans Head Coach David Culley was an assistant in Buffalo from 2017 through 2018. He coached the quarterbacks there, including Texans QB Tyrod Taylor in 2017. Culley and Bills Head Coach Sean McDermott were assistant coaches together in Philadelphia from 2001 through 2010.
- In 2017, as the starter, Taylor guided the Bills to a 9-7 record and their first playoff appearance since 1999. He spent three seasons with the Bills, from 2015 through 2017.
- Texans WR/R Andre Roberts was a Pro Bowl selection in each of his two seasons with Buffalo in 2019 and 2020.
- Bills RB Taiwan Jones spent the 2019 season with the Texans, where he was primarily a special teams standout, but his 34-yard reception in overtime against Buffalo in the playoffs that season led to the game-winning field goal on the very next play.
- Bills Senior Personnel Advisor Brian Gaine spent 2018 and 2019 with Houston as the General Manager. He was also the Director of Player Personnel with the Texans from 2014 through 2016.
- A pair of Buffalo assistant coaches each spent time in Houston as assistants. Marc Lubick, the Assistant WR Coach/Game Management, was an Assistant WR Coach with the Texans from 2012 through 2013. DB Coach John Butler held the same title with Houston from 2014 through 2017.
- A trio of Bills are from the Houston area. DE Jerry Hughes played his high school ball at Fort Bend Austin, while WR Emmanuel Sanders was a Bellville Brahma. DL Ed Oliver was a standout at Westfield High School and then the University of Houston.
The Texans will face the Buffalo Bills at Highmark Stadium in Week 4. Kickoff is set for Sunday at noon CT.
Want to watch the Texans at home? Click here for tickets.