Check out our series highlighting new 2021 player signings for the Houston Texans.
Get to know defensive back Tremon Smith, signed as a free agent on March 22, 2021.
Name: Tremon Smith
Position: Defensive back
Height, Weight: 5-11, 190
Hometown: Anniston, Alabama
School: Central Arkansas
- Smith was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the sixth round (196th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. As a rookie, he returned a kickoff for 97 yards against New England in Week 6. On special teams, he logged his first career fumble recovery in Week 16 at Seattle. Smith recovered a second fumble in the AFC Divisional Round against the Indianapolis Colts.
- He played four seasons (2014-17) at the University of Central Arkansas where he was selected First Team All-Southland Conference as a junior, recording 35 total tackles (28 solo), 2.5 tackles for loss, 11 passes defensed, two interceptions and a fumble recovery. He also earned honorable mention honors from the conference as a punt returner after returning 24 punts for 219 yards and a touchdown in 2016.
- As a freshman, he led the team with three interceptions in 2014. Smith finished his collegiate career with 15 interceptions, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery in 48 games.
- Smith attended Saks High School in Anniston, Alabama where he played both quarterback and defensive back. He holds the school record for the most career touchdowns.
- Last season, Smith played in 10 regular season games and one postseason game for the Colts. In 2019, he spent time with the Green Bay Packers, the Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Smith already knows fellow Texans safety Justin Reid. The two train together in the offseason.