Check out our series highlighting new 2021 player signings for the Houston Texans.
Today, get to know offensive lineman Marcus Cannon, acquired in a trade with the New England Patriots on March 22, 2021.
Full name: Marcus Cannon
Position: Offensive lineman
Height/Weight: 6-6, 335
Hometown: Odessa, Texas
School: Texas Christian University
Get to know Marcus:
- Cannon, a fifth-round draft pick for New England in 2011, started at right tackle during three Super Bowl winning seasons for the Patriots (2014, 2016, 2018). He also started at left guard for three games in 2014 and two at left tackle in 2015.
- While at the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine, Cannon was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and underwent chemotherapy. He earned the 2011 Ed Block Courage award after making a full recovery.
- Six years later, Cannon was the Patriots' starting right tackle in the Super Bowl LI comeback victory against the Atlanta Falcons at NRG Stadium on Feb. 5, 2017.
- A native Texan, Cannon was a first-team All-District and honorable mention 5A All-State selection as a senior in football, while also lettering in basketball, track and field and powerlifting at Odessa High School.
- In track and field, Cannon finished fourth overall in the discus (175 feet, four inches) at the Texas 5A State meet in 2006.
- Cannon played four seasons (2007-10) at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth after redshirting his freshman year (2006). He appeared in 49 games, starting the final 36 contests that he appeared in at right and left tackle.
- His uncle, Allen Cannon, played at Vanderbilt from 1981-82.
- Cannon became a regular starter at right tackle in 2013 when Sebastian Vollmer's season ended in injury. In his first start that season, he helped the Patriots score 55 points and rack up 610 yards against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 9.
- Cannon was a full-time starter at right tackle since the 2016 season and started both of New England's most recent Super Bowl appearances. He started 15 games in 2019 and opted out of the 2020 season, his tenth in the league.